Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day Six to Bozeman

We left Dubois around 8:30 and were in Grand Teton East Gate at about 9:00. It was a nice drive up to the gate. The park is huge so it took us awhile to explore the park. We stopped at a Jackson Lake and shot a few pictures. The size and angle of the mountains were very impressive. We stopped to get a drink and I shot a few photos. I even got a picture of both of us posing with the Tetons in the background. We headed west to try and make our way through both the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in one day. I know that's pretty lame attempt at exploring the area, but we didn't figure we could find a campground in Yellowstone and we needed to be exiting the West gate before dark. We stopped a couple of times to shoot photos and at Old Faithful. Evan had already been to Yellowstone so he was uninterested in Old Faithful. "I've already done all that." He said. So Evan took a nap while I ran around the park. It was really cool. I guess I've always been curious and this was the kid in me wanting to see it for real. I must say, I found myself wishing I could share it with the girls. They are nine and still find most new things in life exciting. As a parent that is one of my favorite things about my kids. Granted, there is a long list of things but Old Faithful seems to be so foreign and interesting I just could help but miss my girls. I shot a ton of photos of the grounds. After Old Faithful spouted off, I walked back to the bikes and discovered Evan sleeping on one of the park's flatbed trailers. Sunning himself like an old bear. We jumped on the bikes and headed out.

The original plan was to go to Canyon Ferry Lake, however, it was so late that we decided to go to Bozeman. It was about 100 miles closer. I must admit I really didn't want to change the plans but we had only been able to drive 45 MPH all day. This slower pace meant that we would have to drive 3 more hours to pitch camp. Bozeman was half the distance, and I hate setting up camp in the dark. An early day would be a nice change. We left Yellowstone through the West gate which put us on route to 191. This road is awesome. It twisted along a stream for 60 miles. The stream has ton of people fly fishing at the south end and white water rafters at the north end. The K.O.A was really nice.
They had a tiny water park, pool, hot rub and cooking area.

We set up the tent and I hit the showers. I really wanted to get in the hot tub but I knew that my blog needed to be posted. The writing isn't hard - its getting all the photos downloaded and going through them all that takes all the time. It was 2:30 am by the time I got all the info and photo uploaded. I am going to try to stay on top of the it a little better from now on.