Sunday, July 11, 2010

Day Fourteen - Another day in Whitehorse

I was ahead of schedule and decided to spend another day in Whitehorse. Ken dragged me to a Tim Hortin's to get a cup of coffee first thing in the morning. Next we headed over to do laundry. While the laundry was going we stepped out to find a Walmart and pick up some stuff. With all the chords done we watch a little bit of the World cup. These folks like their soccer. One of the other campers in our area is a German named Jon. He had been working in Desktop Publishing in Germany and decided he needed a change. Here in Canada he got a chance to be a dog handler for a year with a dog sled racing team. It sounded crazy to me, but a hell of an adventure. Jon needed a ride to the dog trainer lady's house. He was planning on hitchhiking out to the town Tagish. Ken and I decided to give him a hand. It was about hour and a half ride outside of Whitehorse. The direction were really bad but we finally found the house after another hour. There were about 80 dogs there that I saw. The job offered food and shelter, but no pay. Jon was surprised by the small log cabin. We wished him luck and left him with his new career. I still think he's crazy. The opinion of a man riding to Alaska on a motorcycle. I know, it sounds a little like the pot calling the kettle black. One year in Tagish with 100 dogs. Wow!



1 comment:

  1. Man do I envy you. Ken Linder sent me over here and I'm glad he did. I know I'll be reading all this about your trip. Hey! That little cabin looks plenty cozy to me and I could live in something like that. Wish you had more pictures of it inside and out. To cool

    ReplyDelete